25 Simple Ways to Be Kind (To Yourself)

by Amy on January 24, 2013

1. Give yourself a hug
2. Call yourself “sweetie”
3. Buy yourself some body butter (my favorite is Brazilian Mango Grapefruit by Pacifica)
4. Laugh at your own jokes
5. Make a promise to yourself and keep it
6. Call yourself a “rock star” when you do
7. Write “You are beautiful” on your bathroom mirror in lipstick
8. Do something right now that makes you happy
9. Make time to move your body even if it’s 10 minutes (then call yourself a rock star).
10. Make yourself a “you are awesome” playlist
11. Send yourself a thank you note
12. Do something “frivolous”
13. Admit that you are special
14. Stop hanging out with that negative and judgmental “friend”
15. Paint your fingernails
16. Eat more greens
17. Stretch
18. Look yourself in the eyes and smile
19. Let yourself suck at something so you can get better at it
20. Go with the flow (you don’t have to control everything)
21. Laugh
22. Write down what you want. Everything. Then refuse to judge it.
23. Put on your favorite dress and take yourself on a date
24. Don’t make yourself do things you don’t like to do (especially if you’re good at it)
25. Eat something yummy and (gasp) actually let yourself enjoy it

I’d love to change the title of this post to 100 Simple Ways to Be Kind to Yourself, so post your own tip below and I’ll enter you in a contest to win a tube of my favorite body butter by Pacifica!

Sharon January 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Indulge in Necessities.

That’s my new thing this year. I read Dr. Neff’s book and it changed my life. I was a hard core self-flaggellator (still recovering), and I used to withhold necessities from myself. Now I use as much damn conditioner as I need and maybe a little extra. I get that massage after a crazy day because, yes. I need it. It will probably feel like indulging for a while until it becomes second nature to care for myself with kindness :-).

Jen January 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Stop and spend 5 minutes with yourself right now. Love on your little girl self, high five your right now self, listen to your older wise self. Just spend some time with you. You deserve your time and attention.

Thanks for the new book recommendation! I needed another one. ha.

Beautiful post Amy!

Barb January 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Write a short, easy poem to yourself about how amazing you are — an acrostic, a haiku, whatever. Acrostic example (using my name): B = beautiful, A = astonishing, R = radiant, B = brave. I feel better already! Thanks, Amy.

Alissa Morelan January 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm

How I am kind to myself is treating myself to a new fragrance, usually getting several samples from a fragrance counter and mentally and emotionally enjoying where the fragrance takes me…

Delaram Adyani January 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Make time for art, meditation, and connecting with beauty. I love being kind and compassionate and gentle to myself when I choose to remember! love, Delaram

Liz January 27, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Look at your kids, and think to yourself what an incredible good , caring and special mother you are. Your children are SO lucky to have you as their mother.
Thank you Amy.

Denee May 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Go outside into nature and life your face up to the sky, arms stretched wide and breathe in the air.