Why I Don’t Promote B-School (+ How to Make Money as a Coach)

by Amy on February 19, 2014

ezine-b-school

It’s b-school season!

If you’ve got a business in the self-development space you’ve probably heard of it.

Soon, if not already, you’ll be receiving enthusiastic emails praising this business-building program to the moon and back. They’ll throw in all kinds of juicy bonuses enticing you to sign up through them.

And they’ll be making hundreds of thousands of dollars (sometimes millions) promoting b-school.

Which is cool.

I promote other stuff all the time. And often (not always) make a commission when you buy the thing I promote.

For example Jill Hope is hosting a free class called “Simple Secrets to Help Your Child Have the Inner Confidence, Motivation, and Perseverance to Go for Their Dreams, No Matter What Anyone Else Thinks.”

I think you should sign up for this class because I’m passionate about the work Jill does. And if you do listen to it and go on to join her program, Jill will pay me a commission.

There’s no way I can meet every need of every person in my tribe PLUS there’s plenty of people I admire who have great stuff to offer PLUS I love the idea that I can share good stuff with you AND get paid. Win. Win.

So back to b-school.

I have to confess that when I heard about the amount of money people were making promoting b-school, I started to drool a little bit.

Then I wiped my mouth and applied to be an affiliate (I took b-school a few years ago when it was co taught by Marie and Laura Roeder). When you sign up as an affiliate, you get sample copy, tweets, and talking points to help you promote the program.

I was all set to promote the shit out of it.

But then, just as the first email was set to go, I re-read the copy and (thank god) came back to my senses.

Just so we’re clear, I’m 100 percent certain that the people who promote b-school do it because they believe in the program. I, however, realized I could not in integrity promote it.

Before I share with you why I decided not to promote b-school, you need to know something else about me.

This year I’m on track to make multiple six figures — around 250k — in my coaching practice (and I’m working with the folks over at YNAB to help me stay on track to meet that goal. BTW if you purchase this budgeting software through my link, you’ll save six bucks and I’ll earn six bucks– sorry couldn’t resist.) This month, I grossed about 13k without any launches or teaching a single class for Martha Beck. I do this while working 3 days a week and taking 2 months off out of the year.

BUT I’m in no way, shape or form an overnight success story.

It took me 4 years of trial and error (and a lot of what I call “monster.com moments,” being the laughing stock of my accountant and enduring comments by my spouse who wondered, “Amy, when are you ever going to money at this?”) before I finally figured out how to actually make money as a coach.

Now during those 4 years of trial and error there were things I devoted time, energy and dollars into that made my business more of an “expensive hobby” than a real business (the kind your spouse takes seriously).

And the reason I could not and can not promote b-school is because I think this program among others I have taken contributed directly to “expensive hobby-mode” in my business.

And I’m willing to risk being blacklisted over at the b-school facebook group because I believe (as cheesy as it may sound) the world needs you to get your shit together sooner, rather than later.

So without further adieu, here are the 5 Reasons I Don’t Promote B-School:

1. You Don’t Need a Website – Module 2 of b-school is on all things websites – wordpress plugins, costs for hosting, avoiding website disasters, getting more traffic. And this frankly annoys the shit out of me. To make money at whatever you do, whether it’s coaching or dog grooming, you need to stop hiding behind your website. Worrying about web traffic and WordPress plugins or what to write on your About Page is NOT a revenue generating activity. It actually costs money. Driving traffic to your website does not equate to $. You’ve got to actually TALK to REAL people (gasp). This is where the money is and until you’re actually making money in your business, your website is just a distraction.
  2. Two words (one in all caps): Information OVERLOAD. Look, it’s overwhelming enough to start a business online — what with blogs, and twitter and now google plus! I was just skimming the 38 page BSchoolProgramTour.pdf and nearly hyperventilated from the sheer amount of stuff in there. Too many business owners FAIL because they’re so overwhelmed by the options they don’t do anything. Succeeding in business is a “less is more” kind of thing. I started to see results when I started to narrow my focus on a few key things. Hey, no one can argue that b-school isn’t comprehensive. But is that always a good thing? I think not.
  3. Clarity comes through action. If there’s one thing I know for sure, growing a business is fucking vulnerable. It’s terrifying to write a post like this one. Or this. Or this. It’s just as scary to host a telesummit or get on the phone and offer a coaching program for several thousand dollars. But this is what it takes to be successful. You don’t learn this in b-school. None of those nifty “done for you resources,” mean a thing without the courage to take action that scares you.
  4. Thinking about your ideal client is another way to hide. One of the first things you do in b-school is create an ideal client avatar. This is just one among many activities you do in b-school that makes you “think” you’re working in your business without actually doing the scary shit (see number three above) it takes to succeed. The real way you get clear on your ideal client is by working with a lot of different people so you can understand who you like to work with. It’s not something you can figure out in your head or by taking a business class.
  5. Success is messy.  I love Marie. I wish I looked like her as she breezes through Central Park. Her website is glorious and so is Marie TV. But don’t kid yourself, it didn’t happen overnight and I’m sure there’s a Marie TV episode about all the mistakes she’s made along the way. My point is you’ve got to be okay with a shitty first draft of your program and sucking your way through a sales conversation and letting your colleagues see your launch flop. Marie’s stuff is polished. It’s pretty. Real life and business success doesn’t look this way. Hold yourself up to Marie and I’m willing to bet you’ll still be working on the same About Page 2 years from now.

I’m going to tell all about how I grew a coaching practice that actually makes money and share my favorite tools to grow the courage you need to be a huge success fast.

It’s happening on April 19, 2017. So hop on over to get your spot. At the very least give it a listen before you decide to invest 2 grand in b-school.

mindcluttersucks-500

P.S. If you think business owners could use a fresh perspective during the b-school launch please share this post!

Lisa | Practically Intuitive February 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’ve thought this for a while now so thank you for saying it out loud. I’ve not taken b-school myself but I’ve been privy to a chunk of the material and yeah, it’s a lot of (IMO) busy work. And it’s hugely overwhelming. Tons and tons and TONS of material that I couldn’t work through if I made it my full time job!

Either the magic is in the community or everyone wants to be Marie or something else entirely. b-school is all the rage and yet, I don’t see many coming out of there and really rocking the business.

Your comment about programs like this (and others) encouraging “hobby businesses” really resonated with me. I spent 30 years working for someone else and the five I’ve been on my own have been terrifyingly awesome (yep, both. I know you get it.) It happens through figuring shit out, watching shit crash and figuring it out again. That’s it.

Templates and pretty brochures are nice but they don’t carry the same energy as authentic email or a face-to-face meeting.

Good points, well taken.

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for the comment Lisa. Yes I do think that community is important and b-school has a fabulous group. If I had to share something I liked about it, that would be key. But I just see sooooo many coaches spinning their wheels on trying to figure stuff out via these biz courses when much of it is not a cerebral thing. Clarity comes through action, action and more action. And action is what’s scary which is why so many business owners would rather think about their niche in the comfort of their cozy office.

Anni Hayden Lane February 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your daring post. I’ve never taken b-school before but lots of my clients have. After a while, I started to wonder why the people who took it were still feeling so lost and stuck. I had no idea why but I just noticed a pattern I couldn’t explain.

Then when I developed a sales coaching program, I deliberately created something that taught everything that b-school didn’t teach and it was the stuff you said — taking action with courage, doing the things that scare you and having sales conversations with people.

I’m also concerned why there also seems to be so much struggle with copywriting. I also agree there is too much of a preoccupation with the ideal customer avatar. I often teach that knowing your ideal customer avatar only helps to see things from one side – yours – and not how customers see you, which is way more important. That might explain the trouble with copywriting.

Because of this pattern, I kind of created my program for b-school graduates, where they can unlearn everything they just learned. And then actually practice and integrate what truly builds a business.

I don’t mean to knock Marie or b-school, but I am genuinely concerned about a herd mentality. It makes me be more thoughtful and conscious of what I’m putting out there.

Thanks for the validation and best wishes to your biz, Amy.

Love,
Anni

Kal February 20, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Brilliant!

” taking action with courage, doing the things that scare you and having sales conversations with people.”

Definitely the Scary stuff!

Do you have a website I can look at?

Kal

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Scary indeed.

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:50 pm

It’d be a much better program if there was some support around integration and practice. I’m not sure if the stuff needs to be unlearned but in my experience I a lot of the things I thought I knew in my head about my business completely changed once I was out there taking action.

Breezie September 23, 2016 at 11:53 pm

I love that you did that. When I first heard of Marie Forleo it was because my client told me “not to worry about making her website SEO friendly” that “her model was different”. As I learned more I just felt so bad that all these women get sold (very smart women) from NLP techniques but she doesn’t mention that part in bSchool. I, like you and Amy, worked my ass off and bootstrapped to build my business. You can’t just go to a fancy online eCourse and call yourself a business owner. There are so many fundamental small business management lessons Marie doesn’t cover. The most basic common sense things. It makes me want to do exactly what you did with your program. I even had a name for it, “what Marie left out”. I am fascinated with her marketing, but I don’t agree with the black hat NLP stuff she so carefully crafted and then conveniently left out of the program. She should have taught those techniques as well. It’s a motivational boost at best. All the content in bSchool can be found online for free.

I know I sound bitter – I am. I am so passionate about helping women succeed in business, it kills me to see people being taken advantage of

(sorry for poor grammar in typing from my phone)

Tora February 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

My friend just sent me your post after I divulged that I was being sucked into the “vortex”, having received about 8 emails in rapid succession from all the people promoting B-school. It was perfect reading for today. I’m not bagging B-school at all and think what Marie has done is amazing, however I really don’t need another program. I’ve always taken action as I do programs, yet building a business for the last 2 years and a bit has been a total messy rollercoaster of a journey. I have been out of my comfort zone about 93% of the time. It is so refreshing to hear someone come clean about all of this. Thanks for the post 🙂

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Thank you Tora. I’m really glad to hear it. It is messy and it is a roller coaster that’s for sure.

Dee February 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I began having many of the same thoughts yesterday as I started receiving tons of promo emails from b-school grads. That turned me off completely and I ended up unsubscribing from everyone that sent me one of those emails.

I completely agree that much of this adds up to loads of busy work that makes us *think* we’re doing something to further our biz…but it’s just a distraction. Thank you for this post, Amy.

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Thank you Dee!

andrea February 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

YES!!!! Oh how I loved reading this. My “spit out my coffee” moment was when you said you had those “monster.com moments”….HOLY FREAKING Sheets! That was hilarious and so reassuring! Your transparency made my day and it is only 7:53 am here!

Amy February 21, 2014 at 11:58 pm

LOL I’m so happy to hear it. Yep I know those monster.com moments well.

Jen February 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I guess it feels brazen to put that opinion out there but to me it doesn’t feel right to knock a program of a fellow female entrepreneur (in order to promote your own business). Especially when your platform is to help women succeed.

Amy February 22, 2014 at 12:03 am

The reason I shared the post is because I see a lot of women completely frozen from overwhelm and fear. It’s not the nuts and bolts. It’s the taking action part. The more I mentor coaches the more I see this. 2 thousand dollars is a huge investment in stuff that I don’t women need to be successful. So my intention was to help women business owners.

When I have an opinion that isn’t the party line I share it IF I think it will help other people. Even though some might not agree or even interpret in a different way. I think it would have been out of integrity to post this if I was doing it in pure service to myself but that’s not what I did and it was scary to do because of the comments I was afraid I’d get like this.

You are totally entitled to you view point. I’m just sad that you see interpreted the post in this way.

Also I hope I open a dialoge about what it really takes to be a success. So, who knows, maybe it might influence b-school to incorporate some of these things into their biz content.

And I don’t have a problem with offering a service that i think is better if that’s what I think women need.

Holly February 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Last year I was bombarded with emails from almost every person that has me on their email list and this year at least 20 people have done the same! I find it a real turn off and wonder “just how many Affiliates does Marie Forleo have”? At some point it just feels insincere and even though I am a Salesperson and have no problem with that, it starts to border on “Sleazy” Sales when the “too good to be true” offers start popping up! Thanks so much.

carol@thebrightbox February 20, 2014 at 4:28 pm

You ARE living brazen, aren’t you?:) Taking on the Marie machine. I did take B-school last year and I have to say, I did get a lot out of it. Having said that, now that I’ve absorbed what I’ve learned I think I would say it’s a nice baseline to have but certainly not enough to propel me into overnight success. There are still lots of puzzle pieces missing. You hit the nail on the head with the “action” being so important. It is a huge one and so often I feel myself hiding from that part of it. I love your perspective as always Amy! And try and enjoy Disney Land

yudelky February 28, 2017 at 7:04 am

How is your business now (3 years later) ? Do you go back to B-School every year? have you learned something new? Is her program the same or did she improve it? What happens after 8 weeks of B-school? Thanks and have a nice day.

Stephanie February 20, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Girl, I’m following you now just because you don’t promote B-school and have the guts to share about it.

Amy February 22, 2014 at 12:05 am

Thank you Stephanie!

Sheppard February 20, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Another reason to love you, Amy Pearson! I actually signed up for B School last year. I had my LCT certification and all I needed were some lessons on running a business. But that’s not what B School really is and you nailed exactly why. I started hyperventilating when I saw the marketing and sales writing classes. One of my pet peeves is the 20-page sales pitch, including the “you aren’t sold yet? Read on…aren’t convinced? There’s more…etc.” One of the beauties of this program is that you can get your money back pretty far into it and I did. I’ve certainly had my struggles and am sure they will continue. I just canceled a workshop that had too few sign-ups. But that trial and error thing is the best way to find out what works, for sure! Truth be told, I just got off the phone with someone who contacted me from monster.com! (I didn’t even know my info was still there!) Thanks, once again, for your brazenness!

Amy February 22, 2014 at 12:07 am

Thank you Sheppard. You know some business owners are ready for the nuts and bolts. And they can sort through all the content to see what is the most efficient and leveraged couse of action. These are the ones who probably benefit a great deal from it. When I took it, I’m such a quick start, that I tried to implement everything and ended up wasting tons of time, energy and money. What really turned it around was a clear strategy that helped me make money as a coach. And it was all about doing the scary stuff. I’m going to elaborate on my call. xoxo

Terry February 20, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I totally agree with what everyone is saying and with the post! I have been totally sucked into the Vortex of all this buzz.. I almost signed up yesterday ; ) I kind of took a step back and just waited and then today I got this post!! Very timely! Thank you Amy!!

Amy February 22, 2014 at 12:08 am

xoxo

Angela Lauria February 20, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Is it wrong that when you write stuff like this I can’t stop crying? It’s just… I mean…. THANK YOU! Thank you for being honest and brave (er…um… brazen) and just wow. YES YES YES – Be a creator not a consumer people. Sharing this post with everyone I know and some that I don’t.

Amy February 22, 2014 at 12:08 am

Thank you Angela! I am so grateful!

julia Turner February 20, 2014 at 6:20 pm

well done! see you on the call 🙂

Rosie February 20, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I was seriously considering signing up for B-school. Last night when I went to sleep, I asked Spirit to let me know clearly if that was the next step for me. This morning, I find your newsletter in my mail! You answered all the questions I was asking myself about whether this program was right for me. Thanks for being so gutsy and for opening my eyes!

Deb Dane February 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Thank you so much for being the only person I have even yet write an honest post on this. When I was considering b school last year I was steers away by a couple of people but with vague warnings (as if telling me specifically why they don’t recommend it might bite them on the ass/ fear in action)

I know how much cash some people are making on the affiliate sales and personally feel for many it has turned into a pyramid scheme. They push the program not so much to help others t to slimy boost their income and their own tribe by luring with the biggest bonus offer. I personally think Marie (who I love) would do well to limit her number of affiliates to keep it genuine. Like a previous poster said I unsubscribes from many sites over the last 2 rounds thanks to so many emails abut b school.

Frances February 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm

This is a beautifully brazen post! I’m now following you simply because you had the guts to write honestly about why you didn’t sell out on your integrity. I started thinking seriously about B-School LAST NIGHT, just for the bonuses of one of her affiliates, which are total icing. And I do long for community that entrepeneurs sometimes miss out on when we are working. The truth is, when I separate drool from my intelligence, I’ve got the tools I need. I’m making the community I long for. I just need to stay committed to charting the course, however messy, and honestly evaluating my results. Like you, I’m working to be on the “less is more” train, as this whole biz thang gets overwhelming when following all the “should’s”. Question: how much do her affiliates make? I’m SO CURIOUS!

yudelky February 28, 2017 at 7:11 am

$1k pp

Michelle Abrahmz February 21, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Hi Amy,

just signed up for your talk but I’m not in the US and can’t afford to make the call for that amount of time. Will this be added to your website as a transcript later? I’d love to know more.

stephanie February 22, 2014 at 3:46 am

Well, as much as I’ve avoided the entire b-school rage…an affiliate email showed up today from a jeweler who had taken b-school. I was pretty interested in this jeweler and her offerings. She was the only way I even remotely considered charging b-school on the ol’ credit card. Then, I ran across this. Thank you. I’m sure I have all the tools I need to make my business what I want it to be. I’m sure I have all the resources I need to find somewhere on the Internet… but the last thing I need is to have more ‘stuff’ and less action. The time that it would consume is time away from my baby http://www.MermaidCompany.com. Time that I could be initiating some ACTION to propel myself forwards. Thanks for the honesty. Honestly! Bless.

Daggi February 23, 2014 at 9:17 am

I just had my monster.com moment today (again). It’s good to realize that there are other (dare I say better) ways to get where I want to go. Not another tweak on the website, not a more polished about page, not another worksheet for the ideal client.

NOW is the time to get shit done – to create more and fail (?) more – and suceed more.

Thanks for that post! This is about a lot more than just B-School or even your program (I am going to be there ;)) I got from it the realization that it’s about working what I already have and going toward the next stage of me an my practice.
Thank you!

Hatice February 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hi Amy,

Long time I have been admiring your work and first time I drop a comment on your lovely blog.

Something was bothering me about all those emails promoting B-school. It sure has lots of stuff to offer but let`s be honest.

We have all the answers for the question “how” through different channels (books, audios, millions of youtube videos). But we don`t act upon it. If there is only 1 “how” answer for all, there would be a very clear book about doing everything that works for anybody, right?

We are all here to find our own “ways” to our goals. The first thing we need is to decide who we are going to become. As we continue to be that person in feelings, attitudes, whatever we do is just taking us to our next miracle ( that includes lots of pain but not suffering)

Otherwise, That is one of the reasons why I love your work and Martha Beck`s work.

Looking forward to your call on this,

Cheers from Dubai,

Emily V. February 23, 2014 at 5:38 pm

WOW, Amy! What a BOLD post. I received your article from a friend and I felt compelled to comment.

First, kudos to you. I think you shared your opinion with class. You said what people are thinking and are too afraid to say publicly. I admit, I would never say this publicly either on my site. But that’s why you are the brazen trailblazer! And for the record, you did not tear down Marie. And this is coming from someone who loves everything Marie does and learns a lot from her. This is also coming from someone who invested in B-School previously and doesn’t regret the decision. I know exactly what you’re saying here. You are commenting on the entire “system” of “coaching programs” — and right now, B-School is hot and is on everyone’s minds.

So here are my two cents:
1. AFFILIATE PROMOTIONS: On B-school launch day, I counted 15 affiliate e-mails in my inbox. 15! And I thought to myself, “Wow, one day, I want THIS type of influence where people – including my competition – rush to promote my programs like wild animals in heat!” Then as the days went on, and more desperate “please click on my affiliate link” e-mails rolled in, it was getting annoying, out of control and disgusting. People are basically selling their souls creating bonuses — all to get that commission (I think it’s $1,000 per sale, right?). I’m thinking, “Damn! How come you couldn’t offer this mastermind day or this VIP program before, buddy? I can only get it if we sign up for B-school through your link?!” What a circus. It dilutes Marie’s mission and program. As a result, I’m sure Marie will be changing the affiliate program going forward. If not, I think she should.

2. SIZE: Also, B-school is getting pretty big and overwhelming. There are nearly 6,000 people in the private Facebook group. You make a post – it’s buried within 60 seconds. Now as entrepreneurs, this is something we all want right? A huge million dollar generating program! But it looks like the downsides to this are quickly emerging for the customer’s experience. It will be interesting to see Marie’s next move in managing this mammoth. I know we all can learn something from her next step.

3. EXPENSIVE HOBBIES: Amy, I love you for addressing this! I remember one year when I purchased so many coaching programs, it was enough to purchase a car! I was embarrassed, especially since I was not implementing anything due to the information overload. You’re 100% correct when you mentioned the importance of focusing on a few key things AND talking to people! Now back to B-School — looking at it, I still like it. It is very robust. And perhaps adding a “reality check” module on the importance of implementation and getting yourself out there in front of people would help. Overall, I don’t think B-School is for people who are brand new in their business. I think it’s best for people who already got their feet wet, have a few customers or clients under their belt, gained some momentum and cash in their pocket, and just need more ideas/resources to uplevel what they are currently doing. Again, I would NEVER direct a fresh newbie to B-school. It would be a disservice as they would stay stuck in “learning” mode.

4. THE INDUSTRY – Don’t you just love our space? The internet preachers teach us the importance of investing in ourselves and in our business…..but where’s the sermon about taking action? No wonder people are purchasing programs and spinning their wheels. So the problem here isn’t B-School, it’s the space. And unfortunately, most people won’t get it, until they already felt the pain in their wallet from consuming too much and not producing anything. Hindset is 20/20.

5. WHAT I LEARNED FROM B-SCHOOL: The #1 thing I learned from Marie’s B-school is how to execute and launch a program beautifully. Her launch is first class. Her online experience is first class. Her presentation is first class. Her positioning and marketing is first class. I learned more about the execution of B-school than with the actual material itself. Is the material good? Heck yes! But I’m a marketer and knew or already did these things. What I really learned from Marie was the importance of “going pro.”

Didn’t expect to write all of this…buy great article Amy. You have a new subscriber 🙂

yudelky February 28, 2017 at 9:12 am

I wonder why are people afraid to talk. ??

I have been considering either her program or Neil Patel’s, which costs half, but has a lot more information and takes 1 year to complete (the latter could be a plus or a drawback… ). He also has a very good track record in marketing. I know I need to master marketing, but just as important, I want a community of like-minded individuals.

Do I need a website for my wellness coaching business? Yes I do, and I have one. It’s a great business card, that when optimized and properly marketed could yield tangible results. Did it take time to paste together? Yes it did, but it also gave me clarity as to what I could offer. I’m still tweaking it.

Business is not just marketing, participants of any program should manage their expectations. This is how I came across this post, because I want to hear both sides of a good story and know exactly what I am getting into (if at all). I love to hear what people are saying, especially those who have participated in the program. I feel that the main lesson would be to observe HOW she operates and HOW she created this mammoth of a business. Basically, she and Kris Kar would be perfect models to emulate.

There is indeed a lot of free stuff out there. No doubt. I already found many free resources. BUT, it goes back to implementation and accountability!! :/

“The #1 thing I learned from Marie’s B-school is how to execute and launch a program beautifully” – This is good. I could use this…. I want to know how to execute a launch a program beautifully that could be successful.

Fair play to you Amy for voicing your honest opinion. Honesty is always the best policy. I have found others who give honest reviews, yet still recommend the program even though they are not affiliates. Regarding affiliates, well, I am not entirely sure they have all gone through the program, yet attribute their success to BSchool…. Nevertheless, from their point of view, I understand they are just doing their job, to promote and get as many people to enroll. They are investing time and effort in creating bonus programs to add value and are spending money in marketing. So, they’ve earned it.

I’ve been curious about BSchool for a few years, but that’s a big ticket price in the name of curiosity. So I need to weigh the pros and cons before delving in hers or Neil Patel’s program and manage expectations.

It’s been great reading you all. Thanks for your opinions.

I wish you all much success in your endeavors!!

Best, Yudelky

Desiree February 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Amy, I feel like we are kindred spirits. I just found you through “Your Connected Life”. Fortunately, I was shared a log in for B-School. Shhh…Don’t tell Marie. But thank god that I was able to test drive it. Honestly, nothing she taught was rocket science. She simply took all the free shit available on the interwebs and put it in a pretty little package with her pretty little face in the videos. Second, NOTHING in the program made me feel like I was having a-ha moments in my growing my business. I felt like it was all business owner 101. I disagree with the above poster about sending a newbie. I would ONLY send newbies to this. You want to start a business? Here’s the perfect “school” for you but don’t expect to make any money by taking this course. In fact, 2 months from now, I’d be surprised if you’ve gotten anything actually sold because you’ll spend so much time in learning mode.

$2,000 for what I can Google for free or get from any business marketing book? I’ve only got one thing to say: Marie Forleo, you are one smart lady! I just pray that my private groups NEVER have 6k+. Too big for my own britches…

Jessica February 24, 2015 at 1:47 am

Thank you Amy for this incredible daring post! I completely resonate with everything that you said! I have just recently started my own coaching business and I know all too well the tug of these types of programs. I feel like, as a new entrepreneur, in a way, I am “supposed” to do a business training to be successful and that I need to have this great website and need to know everything about my ideal client. But, like you said, I am learning to really follow my intuition, which is telling me to just get out there, to not overwhelm myself with all of these little details because then I don’t even have the time or energy to get out there to find clients! Thank you so much for this!

Kim February 24, 2015 at 4:20 am

This post is a year old….and made it to 2nd slot when I “googled” b-school affiliates. Thank you for the insight. While, I love Marie…..you covered all the concerns I had. One being, this being a distraction from me actually building my business. I had signed up for a course earlier this year and after the first two weeks…..I realized all I was doing was spending a lot time, not working on generating revenue. I did get a refund. Then b-school popped up, it is hard to ignore. Thank you for confirming what my gut already knew….this isn’t something I need right now. I need to in motion and in action….thanks!

marion December 6, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Interesting read! I actually loved B school and got a lot out of it but have not yet promoted but I am tempted because its a good course and I got stuff out of it, that doesn’t mean its the course for everyone though there are other great programmes out there I wouldn’t take because they just aren’t for me. Really enjoyed this though I totally disagree about not needing the website and not needing to drive traffic to your business, I tripled my income last year and over 80% came from online sales via my website, most people expect you to have a business website these days , but even though I disagree some points some others I think are spot on, programmes become a great way for people to work on their business without every actually working on it!

Nikki February 7, 2016 at 2:58 am

Thank you. So glad I found this! I just finished freaking out about my website today. LOL. I took B school and was wondering why was still stuck. It’s great to hear the truth from an established businesswoman.

Sandra February 24, 2016 at 9:14 am

I find it so telling that people keep mentioning how BRAVE one must be to speak up about Marie Forleo or anything B-School. What a terrible indication of the gustapo-esque nature of the person/brand ‘Marie Forleo’. One need to do only one thing to realise the true foundation of a brand such as this: to realise that Marie Forleo runs a successful online business that ‘teaches’ how to run a successful online business i.e. she was teaching it before she was living it (a.k.a a novice professing herself a master). The clients that bought into the proclamations of the novice, made her a master. Think Frank Kern. They sell a lifestyle so that they can live the lifestyle themselves, not visa versa. It’s all ’bout the branding. And if there’s one thing Marie Foleo and co. are really Masters at, and therefore fit to teach, its simply that. Marketing and Branding.

Natalie Baack March 2, 2016 at 6:00 pm

THESE ARE ALL THE THINGS THAT I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT!! THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING IT! Saving myself the $2k and investing it in paying off the debt from my expensive hobby.

Gertie April 19, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Luckily there is a setting in my demographics that prevents B-School from bugging me, but I have been hearing about it from friends. One look at the site and I got suspicious. Everything was perfect.

To me–an immaculate website is the sign of a broken business. I’m a web designer, and I know my most successful and fastest-growing clients are constantly getting updates to their site because they are constantly building. Perfection only happens when we are stagnant.

Thank you for sharing the insider information. I suspected as much!!!

Back to action!

Priti December 11, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I am glad I read this, I had solidly planned to buy b-school next year. Something inside me felt I should make sure before spending 2000 bucks. As I have already done an online course and I felt that bschool is also going to be the same. As both the course layouts sounded similar.
Anyways, God bless you! and Thank you

JMoon February 20, 2017 at 6:57 am

THANK YOU Amy!

Though this is an old post from 3 years ago, I was still led to your insightful article via Google so I guess the relevance is palpable. You know for the past 2 days, I had been sucked into this B-School vortex, not by the promo emails (I’m very selective in terms of who I follow)… but just because I stumbled upon it and wondered if this is really for me. Obviously I was trying to look for honest reviews and it was really hard to find because everyone has become an affiliate and so everyone only has good things to say about it!

Like you said, I’m only starting to think about my business… and without having a steady income, a $2,000 investment is A LOT of money and I got to be ultra careful with it! And I’m so glad I found your post because it sort of validates my hidden worry and fear as to whether or not it’s worth the money, worth the time, worth the effort. I mean obviously, they did a really good job promoting it and packaging it… but I always had that little voice in the back of my head saying: this is not what you need for now, and won’t be helpful for the business you have in mind. But of course with the bombardment of MF’s videos, and promos etc… I thought maybe it IS what I need… and what stopped me was the $2,000 investment… because it’s just too much for me to handle! And then I read your post… and now I’m so grateful because I can finally put this to rest, and focus my energy on my new business instead of whether or not I should get on the B-School train.

I really wish there were more people who are honest like you. I mean if her program reached so thousands of people in almost 200 countries, I can’t imagine EVERYONE really likes it and benefits fully from it. To me, it’s just common sense.

Thank you again!

Sahira February 23, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Hi from Germany. I dont know you or your program, dear Amy. But I am sensitive and read between lines. Your blog gets a much better place at google because you have the word “BSCHOOL” in it. Clever. Still, to use the hard wone success of a colleague … discussable. And lets not talk about overloaded programs! I have been through a year long training with 20 pages moduls evey 2 weeks + a practicum, where I had to find 100 clients that were ok with me recording the session. A 2 months program is nothing in comparison to this. If you want to be taken serious as an online coach you have to have a website, even in Germany. And about that “hiding argument”: its always YOUR choice, if you take webiste-building or ideal client work as hiding. Its certainly not a program, designed just to support you, and not to grab your money.
My question to you would be: what disappointed you so much, that you publish such a blog?
Every bis success has a shadow. As we are living in a dual world. I find it kinda cheap to target those girls who could not yet find the courage to manifest what they had learned in BSchool. You can do better, much better!!!

Amy February 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Hi Sahira,
Here’s what disappointed me and continues to disappoint me about this program that led me to publish this post to my blog in which I have the freedom of speech to do so despite efforts from the folks over at b-school to take it down: seeing people in this industry many so high profile I seriously wonder who if they have ever even TAKEN bschool promote this program because they are earning tens of thousands of dollars and sometimes MILLIONS in commissions. I know people personally who have praised it to the moon and back calling it the best business program they have ever taken — a talking point given by bschool to affiliates — when it really wasn’t.

And no you don’t need a website to be successful in this industry. Huge misconception but I won’t get into that. So I am providing a voice to balance out all the hype. And thank you for calling me clever but I have no expertise in google alpha rhythms. I can barely even spell it. Your opinion is noted.
xo
-a

P.S. I could be wrong but I think it has more to do with the number of comments the post gets that contribute to the high google ranking, so thanks!

Lauren February 26, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Hi Amy-
Just want to say thank you for writing this post. I have also been thinking about taking B-school (I have a close friend that took it last year and loved it). Marie’s marketing is great, and everything I got one of her emails, I got a little bit closer to signing up. BUT I also wanted to search for REAL commentary about the B School program because when EVERYONE gushes about how great something is it makes me suspicious. I have a couple friends who work as writers for web content companies whose sole purpose is to create fluff articles containing certain keywords that push bad reviews/opinions of their clients off the 1st page of Google (because no one looks past the 1st page). When I can’t find anyone that disagrees with a sales pitch, it makes me go hmmmmmm…..

I am one of those people who have trouble starting after taking in too much information at once. I have bought 3+ web courses, a month of business coaching sessions and have not really benefited from any of them because I am stuck at the “taking action” part. Thanks again for writing this, we don’t all have to agree with someone’s sales pitch, and your arguments against B-School are presented with respect.

Phil February 28, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Love the post. It’s funny that, 3 years after being published, it comes top of Google for ‘B School affiliate bonus’…
Similarly, I subscribed to Michael Hyatt’ s Platform University for about $40 a month, got overwhelmed by the massive amount of information and quit after 2 months.
Well done on your successes and your honesty about the process. It’s took me 4 years to get to $200K in my business, making few but massive mistakes along the way.

Orilea March 1, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Amy,

THANKS. I was semi-pushing myself to pull the trigger to “just do it” — not because I felt in my gut it was right for me (always a personal red flag), but because it seemed to be The Thing To Do If You Want To Succeed. Basically, I was starting to wonder if I was just in resistance mode to moving forward. And even if I am, I’m going to trust my gut which told me instinctively many of the things you point out in your article.

Again, thanks. I need to buckle down and do the work — not get bogged down in shiny/new/info overload to the nth degree. I appreciate your voice on this.

All the best!

Orilea

John March 2, 2017 at 8:08 pm

I’m actually pretty confused now:

>>>You took the class years ago & now, you’re hitting $250K.

>>>You say you don’t need a website; even though YOUR blog is now hitting number one for THE B SCHOOL…

So either you learned something & took action & now are making a quarter of a million dollars… and you recommend the course.

OR you’re just trying to get the SEO from the millions of people searching for The B School…

My guess is BOTH! You love her… you’re jealous of her.. YOU wanna look like her… I wanna look like her… I want my site to look like her.. I want my copy to read like hers… She’s A+

AND you can come back to the training at anytime… So you went through the training – setup THIS website – started your coaching business – and life is great years later!!

GOT IT!! How fast can I give Marleo my money???

Amy March 2, 2017 at 10:14 pm

John,
To be clear, I am implementing things I learned from other programs. I didn’t get much out of b-school unfortunately other than overwhelm. I DO take a lot of action. This is a big key to success. No I’m not trying to get SEO but thanks to your comment my rankings on this topic continue to improve. I do love Marie. I love her hair, her style, I love MarieTV. I own her book. It’s part of the reason I enrolled in Bschool to begin with. I am not jealous of her but if I was, I would follow my own advice on that topic. Her branding is spot on. This is one of the reasons that many people who take her program fail. They get mired in perfectionism trying to be just like her. And this is where the topic of websites comes in. Many entrepreneurs spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours fiddling with their websites before ever learning the crucial skill set when it comes to success: SALES, in other words TALK TO REAL PEOPLE. All things I learned the hard way after investing in programs like bschool that allowed me to continue believing that I was working in my business when it was all busy work.

Best of luck to you!