No excuses. Just happy.
My mom used to call me a “malcontent.” I hated it when she called me that. But now I see that she was right. I always had a reason why I couldn’t be happy. Here are a few excuses I used to make that kept me from being happy. Chances are you’ve got a few yourself. See if you can spot your excuses in the list below. If you don’t see yours, add it in the comments below.
I can’t be happy because…
- My husband/friend/mother/kid isn’t happy.
- There’s so much suffering in the world.
- My kids would suffer.
- My family wouldn’t approve.
- I need to live up to my potential.
- I need to do something “important” with my life.
- I have to prove myself.
- I don’t deserve to be.
- There’s too much to do.
- I can’t afford it.
- I get more respect when I suffer.
- People need to know how hard I work.
- I haven’t lost enough weight.
- I haven’t met my financial goal.
- I’d be boring.
- I have to sacrifice my happiness to help others.
- It’s selfish.
- It’s frivolous.
- I’ll become lazy.
- I don’t know how.
- I don’t know what I like.
- I’m not attractive enough.
- I don’t fit into my jeans.
- I haven’t accomplished enough.
- I’m too accomplished.
- I’ve made too many mistakes.
- I have bad hair.
- I’m not as good as her.
- I’m not cool.
- The things I like aren’t cool.
- I don’t fit in.
- They don’t like me.
- They didn’t invite me.
- I need a drink to be happy.
- I need the right outfit.
I’ve finally proved my mom wrong. I’m not making excuses any more. I’m finally happy. How about you?