by Amy on February 17, 2017

Today I just want to thank for listening.

Over the years I have spilled a lot of beans.

It all started seven years ago when I told you I slapped my husband in the face with a sponge.

Then, I told you another unflattering truth: I slept with my husband the day I met him.

And even though it was terrifying, I admitted to you that I stopped drinking and shared and shared the stuff I continue to learn from my booze free life.

Then I confessed some things about my occasional bouts with depression.

And told you some humbling things about my business.

I revealed some heavy things about a family legacy of addiction and shame.

You…

… have given me the rare opportunity to practice telling the truth.

And the rare opportunity to learn that when I do, the sun still rises — a beautiful sunrise no less.

Over the past seven years I can count the number of hateful emails in response.

Instead — and unexpectedly — you have sent me buckets and buckets of compassion, gratitude and love.

Through you I have learned the power of vulnerability over perfection.

Through you I have learned the power of honesty over pretense.

Through you I have learned the power of forgiveness over secrecy and shame.

I write to you now as a witness to the power of TRUTH.

Your truth.

My truth.

Our truth.

It heals.

It will heal you.

The world is waiting for your truth.

Start now.

Let us see you.

Thank you.

dottie February 17, 2017 at 1:37 am

I love you Amy and your courage. Thank you!

Amy February 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I love you back Dottie! Thank YOU.

Natalie Matushenko February 17, 2017 at 1:51 am

Hi Amy,

I feel so honored and humbled by your raw honesty! You are an inspiration!!!!

Amy February 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Thank you Natalie!

Christy Harvey February 17, 2017 at 1:52 am

100% straight up – the truth heals. Personally working toward “the tongue that cannot lie” – to myself or anyone else. Tough stuff, made easier with practice “outing” myself to my community. It’s not easy to reveal that I don’t always have my shit together, but it FEELS better and connects us heart to heart with kindred spirits. And those that don’t like it – well, off they go – and we’re the better for it.

Patty Loehn-Beach February 17, 2017 at 2:15 am

Christy,

I know how you feel when “outing” yourself. We are the leaders, we are the ones to help others and often forget that it’s ok to not always have our ‘shit together’. It makes us human. But in my head and years of understanding depression. I think I have to always look perfect to the outside world – who would want to hire me, be friends with me, or even want me in their world if underneath I have ‘hot mess’ moments.

Amy February 17, 2017 at 2:01 pm

It DOES feel better! Yes those who don’t like it get to go away and find something they do like. And we are much better for it.

Sharon "Smokey"Gray February 18, 2017 at 12:00 am

Boy that’s a hard one to get “we’re better for it”…but when we do…wow. Talk about getting closer to your true self.
You know…people act strange about that sometimes…but, truth is… they love you for it.
The main thing though, when you tell or show people who you are…is that you smile and do it from love.(Works every time…honest) Lv smokeyg

Patty Loehn-Beach February 17, 2017 at 2:13 am

Hi Amy,

I want to say how much I admire you and how inspired I am by you. Like yourself I have a long list of things I’ve done both in my life and business. I have my struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts – I’ve managed to know my limits to keep myself safe and sound but when the depression hits close to the bottom I feel the darkness.

I’ve been through the mud with relationships from mental and physical abuse, one yes one of my ex-husbands (I have 3) was horrible to me mentally and physically. The breaking point was stabbing me and kidnapping the son we shared.

A dark secret that I carry around is I have an aunt who was physically and emotionally abused. When I was in junior high she and her boyfriend were in an altercation and she ended up pleading guilty to his manslaughter due to the circumstances of the events that lead to his death. Her name and our family name plastered in a small town in the newspaper headlines and the gossip on every corner was a nightmare.

When faced with my ex I knew that day that it would be one of us and I always feared that it would be that would end up like my aunt and the day he attacked me and took my son. I fought for my life and for both my children.

I know there are many women who like me want to harm the one that is harm us or they wish for it to end – I want to give hope and a voice to those who cannot or will not speak up.

It scared me to know that I could have killed him for what he did but I found the courage and the strength to fight in court, put him in jail for over 18 years and every parole day showed up to keep him there longer.

What’s lasted is I wonder now that he is free will there ever be a day we are face to face again and who will make the first move and what will that move be.

Thanks for sharing and being so raw and giving me this moment to share a very dark part of my life.

Amy February 17, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Wow Patty! So much you have gone through. It is brave of you to share this. Thank you. I know one thing. Sharing has been a force of healing in my life. You can help others who are going through something similar. And when you heal yourself, I truly believe even though it sounds crazy, you can heal the generations before you — the family legacy that led you to these experiences. Thank you again for trusting me — us — with your story.

Hope February 17, 2017 at 7:16 am

Thank you for being authentic and inspiring us also to be real.

Amy February 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Thank you for your comment Hope!

Dianne Hill February 17, 2017 at 8:04 am

Hi Amy,

I have always followed you because you were so authentic and open with who you are. It is what first attracted me to your work, why I signed up for your programs and why I continue to follow you to this day. You are an inspiration to me. Whenever I feel like I can’t do something, I just read one of your blogs and I know I can. Thank you so much for the gifts you give to all of us. You are amazing and you hold a special place in my heart.
Sending you love and light, Dianne

Amy February 17, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Thank you my dear friend. It is the highest compliment you can give. Heart FULL. Love and light to YOU.

Ladyannmarie February 17, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Thank you Amy for your “thank you”. It madecme cry. I’m really happy when deserving people, esp us women, get to the life we deserve! May you continue to live a brazen life!~am

Miriam February 17, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Thank you, Amy, for being so open and honest. You’re a strong woman!!!

Sharon "Smokey"Gray February 17, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Reminding us of who we really are, and not being afraid to tell the world…is sooooo valuable Amy.
When I read your stuff.. it makes my eyes twinkle and stirs my heart…now what could be better than that? twinkle and a stir…lv smokeyg