How to Love Yourself

by Amy on March 24, 2011

I love my son even when he uses my arm to wipe his nose.

I love my daughter even after she throws a fit at Cosco in front of the pharmacy line and won’t get off the floor.

I love my baby even when she throws up in my hair at 3am.

I love my son even though he said “I don’t like you,” to me first thing this morning.

I love my  daughter even though she wiped her muddy boots on my clean pants the other day as I was loading her in the car.

I love my baby even  when she poops through her clothes as soon as I’ve finally gotten everybody ready and we are walking out the door.

There just isn’t enough poop, pee, vomit, snot, mud, or bad behavior for me not to adore them. So…in the same way I can adore my children even when they challenge, infuriate, publicly humiliate and exhaust me, I can love myself.

They came from me after all!

So…

Forgive yourself.

Accept yourself.

Love yourself.

Adore yourself.

I love myself even though I sometimes yell at my husband while we’re loading the kids into the minivan and the neighbors hear me.

I love myself even when I drink too much champagne and don’t want to get out of bed the next morning.

I love myself even when I throw out a big word to try to impress someone.

I love myself even when I accidentally go through a red light and total the car (everyone was alright).

I love myself even though I don’t balance my checking book.

I love myself even though I often forget to floss.

I love myself even when I don’t meet a writing deadline.

I love myself even when I can’t fit into my jeans.

I love myself even when I forget to use deodorant and smell really foul.

I forgive me.

I accept me.

I love me.

I adore me.

So repeat after me:

You don’t have to be any better than you are in this moment.

Accept yourself for who you are. The good and the bad. Give yourself the same kind of unconditional love you would offer your children, your partner, your best friend or your cat.

That’s how you love yourself.

– –

If you liked this post, just wait til you hear my free online class called “The Fraud Factor: How to Go From ‘What if I’m not Good Enough?’ to Confident, Successful and ‘Damn I’m Good!’. Click the image below to sign up:

fraud-tile-url

Lori Race March 29, 2011 at 3:57 am

Perfection, Amy. This message is absolutely what it is all about.

Amy Johnson March 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Exactly. I love that process of thinking about someone/thing for which you have total adoration and unconditional love and then transferring that feeling to yourself. Simple and perfect.

Sheila Whittington March 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Love this Amy. It constantly amazes me how much love and compassion I have for others yet I forget to serve myself in the same way. Thanks for the reminder to dish myself out a big bowl too!

Toni March 30, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’m crying right now..thank you…

Jessica @ Delicious Obsessions March 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I am so glad that I came across this article this morning. I am having a rough morning feeling down in the dumps about all sorts of things and the self-inflicted mental beating got progressively worse all the way to work this morning. I have got to, got to, got to remember:

You don’t have to be any better than you are in this moment.

As a matter of fact, I am printing this out and putting it on my wall so I can remember it always!

Thank you!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul 7674 /2010/10/marine-corps-cheerleading.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed+MarathonsMarryingMilestones+Marathoning+Marrying++Milestones&utm_content=Twitter March 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

First time on your site and I’m so glad I stopped by! This is a really powerful message.

Jennica April 3, 2011 at 12:45 am

Wow…amazing message that I really needed to hear. Time to quiet all the noise and bad thoughts about myself. Time to accept me as me right now. Thanks!!

Marion Youngblood August 8, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love your vivid examples here! And it’s so true that when the others I love are way less than perfect it just doesn’t matter. Oh to truly love myself that way!

Lindsay October 24, 2012 at 5:45 am

The easiest one to relate to is the one about yelling at your husband and the neighbors hearing! Good stuff Amy 🙂